Because water quality and scarcity are growing concerns that affect all people and industries, we are committed to proper water use management practices for all Cree sites. We continuously strive to implement best management practices that conserve and recycle water and prevent and reduce water pollution:
- Cree has been recycling process water since 2005, and we currently recycle an average of 120,000 gallons of water per day.
- In 2007, Cree initiated a wastewater pre-treatment system, which prevents 22,000 pounds of fluoride each year from entering a local water supply.
- In 2016, Cree implemented a new system for its cooling towers to reduce water usage, which will lead to an annual estimated savings of 4 million gallons of water.
- Cree has implemented best management practices for control of stormwater to minimize the effects of stormwater run-off.
- Cree is reducing the risks associated with chemical spills by developing a new stormwater conveyance project which will allow for containment in the event of an incident.
- Cree collects rainwater to supplement water used for irrigation.
Cree's Global Manufacturing Water Discharges in Millions of Gallons